Knowledge: 5 Enlightening Facts About The Light Bulb Industry

The lights are on, but did you know these interesting facts about the light bulb industry? 💡
Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

Light bulbs are a constant nearly everywhere we travel. There is more variety than meets the eye and the light bulb industry is very much alive. Think about the types of lamps and coloured bulbs that have come and gone over the years. From obsolete lighting technology to LED light therapy that clears acne scars, we seriously do take this wonderful technology for granted.

In this article, we’re celebrating one of everyday’s conveniences, which was first commercially founded by Thomas Edison in 1879, with 5 unknown facts about the light bulb industry that you may not know. Put the spark back into your knowledge bank and read on to find out more about one of life’s greatest wonders.

1. Companies Produce Specialised Lighting.

There are many massive lighting companies that produce tons of light variations, but they can end up looking all the same. There are, however, some companies creating studio quality flash lighting for photographers and there are also those who specialise in vintage LED bulbs.

Vintage LED bulbs have an appeal because they don’t appear like the average bulb and LED bulbs are smarter than the normal bulb. Sustaining intelligence with a vintage look is bound to draw the eye of many customers when shopping for new lighting.

2. 800,000 Cars Could Be Taken Off The Road.

According to research by Bulbs, if every home in the USA were to change just one light bulb to an LED light bulb, the environmental impact would be equivalent to be taking 800,000 cars off the road. Any industry working towards sustainability is likely to succeed in positive environment change. People are frequently gravitating towards LED bulbs because they use 80 per cent less electricity than normal light bulbs. You’d like to think we’re gravitating to save the environment, but we guess the cost savings is the biggest motivator.

LED light bulbs also have dimmers and appear more intelligent than other bulbs, which is another factor which drives the LED light bulbs success. Dimming when the full light isn’t needed improves sustainability.

3. LED Lighting Keeps Food Fresher.

We couldn’t believe it ourselves when we stumbled across this fact. LED light bulbs legitimately keep your favourite foods fresher! You may not have notice this, but the majority of grocery stores make use of LED bulbs for this exact purpose. You’d think it was to just save money but Greg the grocer has way more smarts up his sleeve than that.

LED lights not only assist with food temperature regulation because of the dimming capabilities, they can also use blue and green modes to mimic the sun. This change in lighting and temperature helps to keep your food super fresh. In fact, it’s like it never left it’s natural environment. When it comes to food bacteria cells, the majority also have sensitive compounds which absorb light. By exposing bacteria cells to blue LED lighting, this generates a response in the cells that eventually causes them to die. Say goodbye to gone off meat and say hello to super fresh produce.

4. Only 10% Of Energy Is Used To Create Light.

If you haven’t switched over to LED lighting then you really should. Unlike compact fluorescent light bulbs, only 10% of energy in an incandescent light bulb is used to create light. The leaves the additional 90% of light bulb energy being used to create heat. On the other hand, compact fluorescent light bulbs use about 80% less electricity. They also last for up to 12 times longer than conventional bulbs.

5. LED Light Bulbs Reduce Bug Infestation.

When researching unknown facts about the light bulb industry, we certainly didn’t think critters would be on the radar. If your own home is not infested with bugs, you may have noticed infestations at older hotels. Because older buildings typically have outdated electronics, our creepy friends make full use of their plus one invitation.

The reason for this is because high-energy light bulbs emit too much ultraviolet light or infrared radiation. These two things are like addictive drugs for bugs and creepy crawlies. They are easily attracted to them and also thrive off the additional warmth. Any homeowner will know that most bugs like warm and moist places to hibernate. Installing LEDs will reduce, if not completely eliminate these pesky critters.


Obsessed with technology. Compelled by innovation. We're your home of gadget reviews, technology news and intensive buyers guides. We believe that technology goes far beyond the gadget itself. From groundbreaking technological advancements to quirky gifts and gizmos, we're here to tell you all about the clash between man and machine.

Write A Comment

Subscribe for weekly gadget deals and discounts.