Electric scooters have gone mainstream and have become incredibly popular among city commuters and those looking for a quicker way to zip around. The best electric scooters include a powerful motor, great build quality, a lightweight frame and ideally a bit of style! We spent many many hours creating this list of best e-scooters and attempted to include an electric scooter for any budget.
The Best Electric Scooters
After completing the research we have shortlisted the best electric scooters. Whether you need something that charges super quickly like the SPLACH with its 3 hour charge time, or if you need something that can comfortably climb hills then go for the Segway Ninebot ES4. Below is an overview of the best electric scooters and then we move on to the individual scooters.
OK, let’s jump into each individual electric scooter review overview:
1. Razor E Prime Adult Electric Scooter
The Razor E Prime Adult Electric Scooter ensures a rattle-free ride.
Razor, as a brand, has long been in the game of reinventing the traditional concept of a scooter. It has been around transforming scooters since the year 2000.
Its E Prime electric scooter, launched in 2017, has a durable, aluminium frame that is equipped with an anti-rattle and easy folding technology. The clamp is double-stacked, it has a retractable kickstand, and it can carry a maximum weight of 80 kg.
It can speed up to 15 mph (24 km/h) and range up to 10 miles. Or, if you like just strolling around the quadrangle, within a park maybe, this scooter can be used continuously for up to 40 minutes.
It also has a “ride in comfort” feature with its 8” (200 mm), airless, flat-free front tire and an 8” (200 mm) abrasion-resistant, flat-free rear wheel.
One of the great things about this e-scooter is that it is thumb-activated. No, it’s not fingerprint-enabled, but instead of twisting the handlebar (like what you do with a motorcycle), you can easily flip the paddle control with your thumb. The electronic throttle is located on the handlebar which is within the reach of your thumb, which will power up your high-torque, hub motor.
- Brake Style: Rear Braking
Things you need to know:
- Charging time is 7 hours
- Has a 5-stage LED battery indicator display
2. SPLACH Turbo Ultra-Smooth Suspension E-Scooter
SPLACH Turbo Ultra-Smooth Suspension E-Scooter gives a bit of a different experience—riding it feels like flying.
For one, the wheels are not of the same height. The front tire is taller, measured at 8.5” while the rear tire is only at 8”. Both ends are equipped with ultra-smooth, aviation-grade aluminium for all-terrain flexible suspensions.
Basically, with this product, Splach aims to eliminate the uncomfortable feeling when riding an e-scooter, most especially on bumpy roads. Its front and rear suspension system can be adjusted manually for the personalized convenience of its different users.
Paired with its powerful motor (up to 500 watts of peak power), It can ride up steep ramps of up to 25 degrees. Packing a maximum speed of 25 – 28mph (45km/h), with a maximum range of 31 to 37 miles.
It’s equipped with an optimum brake system as well. It aids in controlling your speed during steep climbs or when there’s a need to make a sudden complete stop.
It also has a great folding system which makes it handy to carry around when commuting. It measures around 3’7″ x 8″ x 1’4″ when folded so you can just store it conveniently under your desk when you arrive at work.
- What's in the Box: Turbo Ultra-Smooth Suspension E-Scooter | Front and Rear Suspension | Standard Charger | 8"Rear and 8.5" Front Tire | 8mm Hex Key | Front And Rear Brake | Manual | SPLACH 1 Year Limited Warranty
- Motor: SPLACH Turbo's high performance motor is capable of outputting up to 500 watts of peak powerMotor: SPLACH Turbo's high performance motor is capable of outputting up to 500 watts of peak power
- Suspension: First- class front & rear suspension system for all terrain
- Battery & Charging: Capability: 52V 10.4AH & Double charging ports; Charging time: 3 hours
Things you need to know:
- It has an Anti-theft alert system
- There are built-in LED headlight and undercarriage light to illuminate your path during dark rides
- There’s double port charging
- It needs 3 hours of charging time
3. Gotrax GXL V2 Commuting Electric Scooter
Gotrax GXL V2 Commuting Electric Scooter is inexpensive compared to other e-scooter but it is still full-featured like the rest. So it’s ideal for beginners who are looking out for a decent e-scooter that won’t hurt their wallets so much.
It’s equipped with the safety and ride quality features that many consumers are looking out for. It has a top speed of 15.5 mph that can travel up to 9 to 12 miles and carry a maximum weight of up to 220 lbs. It packs a 250-watt motor, with a 36V5.2AH Extended Range lithium Ion Battery, having a charging time of 4 hours.
Gotrax GXL V2 is the second version of its original model. One of the improvements made is how the rear disc brake is activated. Instead of stepping on the foot pedal, it can now be controlled through the hand lever.
Its dual braking system is designed to have a responsive braking effect. So aside from the improved disc brake, it also equipped with ani EABS anti-lock braking system.
It’s also more sturdy than the original model since the V2’s rear fender was reinforced.
- Version 2 - Handbrake, Cruise Control, Reinforced Frame and Lock Mechanism
- 8. 5" PNEUMATIC TIRES - Making the GXL the ultimate commuting scooter for overcoming treacherous city streets
- 250 WATT MOTOR - Our most powerful scooter yet, the GXL has a top speed of 15. 5MPH and holds a maximum of 220 lbs.
- 36V BATTERY - The GXL travels up to 9-12 miles and recharges in about 4 Hours. Height from Handlebars to Deck-38 inch
Things you should know:
- There’s a digital display on the handlebar to let you see your speed, your E-scooters battery life and an option to turn on your headlight.
- It’s lightweight and can easily be folded down for easy storage or and when carrying it around.
4. Glion Dolly Foldable Lightweight Adult Electric Scooter
One important thing to note is that the Glion Dolly Foldable Lightweight Electric Scooter is definitely not a toy. It means business.
It’s designed specially for adults’ daily use, like commuting or running errands. It has an aircraft aluminum frame (built to last) with a patented dolly and a vertical self-standing feature. This e-scooter is created in such a way that you can drag it around like a trolly when not in use.
It may not be for kids but that neat future seems very much enjoyable for me as an adult
It has a top speed of 15 mph and can run up to 15 miles for every single charge. It’s military-developed, with a honeycomb interior, 8-inch tires never go flat, eliminating any tire maintenance needed.
It has rear electric brakes, s a built-in tail reflector and a bright headlight to keep its riders safe especially at night. It’s headlight is quite efficient, brightening your path enough, not only to see the road but also enough for incoming cars to see you.
- Premium 36v, 7.8ah lithium ion battery with 15-mile range and 3.25 hrs. charge time
- Not a toy — aircraft aluminum frame is designed for daily use by commuters and other adults.
- Powerful 250 watt (600 watt peak) DC hub motor with electronic antilock maintenance-free brake plus a rear fender press brake
- Front tire suspension and Honeycomb never-flat airless rubber tires
Things you need to know:
- It packs a 250-watt (600-watt peak) brushless DV hub motor that requires 1 Lithium-ion battery.
- Charging time is 3.5 hours.
5. Razor E300 Electric Scooter
Early on this list, we’ve talked about how Razor is a brand dedicated to continually develop e-scooters. Similar to the E Prime, the Razor E300 Electric Scooter can be enjoyed for up to 40 minutes of use, with a 10-mile range. Also with a maximum speed of 15 mph.
Its wheels are an inch higher and wider, having 9 inches pneumatic front and rear tires and can carry a maximum weight of 100 kg. This Razor E-scooter is powered b a 250-watt, high-torque, single-speed,chain-driven motor that has two 12v rechargeable sealed lead-acid battery system.
The E300, however, has fewer features. It’s a bit basic with a bit of a style.
- With its super-sized deck and frame, the Razor E300 electric scooter is ready to roll for teen and adult riders up to 220 pounds (100 kg)
- Powered by a 250-watt, high-torque, single-speed, chain-driven motor that delivers a top speed of up to 15 mph (24 km/h)
- Rechargeable 24V (two 12V) sealed lead-acid battery system provides up to 40 minutes of continuous use
- Features an all-steel frame and fork for a solid ride that stands up to rugged use
Things you need to know:
- There’s no charge indicator
- The brake is located on the rear and is hand operated through the left handlebar
- The speed can be controlled through the right handlebar
6. Segway Ninebot ES4 Electric Kick Scooter
The Segway Ninebot ES4 Electric Kick Scooter highly-reviewed. It’s function meeting fashion, as the company would say. It takes pride in being “the next level of e-Scooter”.
So, what makes it great? Well, it’s faster, it travels farther and it’s powerful. It has a top speed of 18.6 mph with a 28 miles (45 km) range, having a 15% hill grade. It packs a whopping 800 watts of power with dual batteries (internal and external).
It is also equipped with a Smart Battery Management System (Smart-BMS) which monitors the battery cells, ensuring the safety of your scooter’s batteries and its extended life.
To make use of its powerful machine, Segway ES4 is feature-rich. It has both an electrical brake and a mechanical brake, a dual suspension system (absorbing shock from the front and back—even at high speed), and it comes with a mobile app.
All of these are encased in a durable, aerospace-graded aluminium alloy, with a silver-grey finish. It’s also designed to be portable as this e-Scooter is equipped with a one-step folding system. So it’s sleek, it’s highly functional, and it’s handy and easy to carry around.
- Dual Batteries: With an extra Lithium Ion battery and upgraded motor, ES4 boasts up to 800W of power, with a top-speed of 19 mph, travel up to 28 miles and accommodate a max load of 220 lbs. The ES4 can take you just about anywhere you want to go.
- Portable Folding Design: Ninebot Kickscooter by Segway ES4 is sleek, lightweight and features a one-step folding system. Now our riders can carry the ES4 scooter on public transportation, store it in your car and take it to any destination you desire.
- Safe & Comfortable Riding: Front and rear wheel shock absorbers equipped with the large solid tires provide maximum rider comfort even when traveling at high speeds. The mechanical and electrical anti-lock braking system ensure braking safety.
- Technology Superior: With a LED display, bluetooth capabilities, cruise control, customizable ambient light colors, and mobile app connectivity for additional security and firmware updates, Segway ES4 electric scooter combines performance with luxury.
Things you need to know:
- Charging time is 7 hours
- Recommended for riders ages 14 and up
- Has 8″(F)/7.5″(R) Large Solid Non-Pneumatic Tires
- It has a customizable LED light and a separate front LED light to illuminate your path ahead at night.
You may also be interested in:
Electric Scooter Buyer’s Guide
Below are the key considerations that anyone buying an electric scooter should consider. These points are in no particular order other than the first point which is Certification. The batteries used in electric scooters are potentially dangerous if the unit is uncertified as such, always purchase an electric scooter with certification.
Certification used to be quite rare in the electric scooter space. Thankfully this is now very rare and almost all electric scooters come with UL 2272 certification. This certification is awarded to electrical mobility devices that meet incredibly strict electrical and mechanical standards. Ensure that the unit you are considered has this certification.
Tires & Wheel Size
Make sure that you assess the size of the wheel and the type of tire used. Both aspects of an electric scooter are incredibly important to both the smoothness of the ride but also which surfaces you are able to ride on. Larger wheels are generally better in most circumstances, however, smaller wheels are fine for a typical commute.
Battery life is fundamental to distance range and power output over time. The larger the battery, the larger the range, or greater average speed over distance. Although larger batteries are recommended for most, they are heavy and if you’re only travelling short distances perhaps the large battery is unnecessary.
It’s important to consider the charge time when buying an electric scooter if you need to use your scooter multiple times a day or just want an efficient unit. Generally speaking, larger batteries have a longer charge time compared to smaller batteries. However, some electric scooters do have better charging efficiencies than others.
Different motors deliver a different amount of power. Simply speaking, a more powerful motor delivers greater speeds than less powerful motors. There are drawbacks to more powerful motors, mainly with limiting the battery life due to a greater energy draw. However, more often than not you would want to opt for a more powerful motor.
Weight & Construction
Electric scooters can get heavy and become very cumbersome when carrying it onto trams or upstairs. ake sure that you buy an electric scooter that is lightweight as possible without compromising too much on the performance or quality. In addition, if you do plan on using your electric scooter a lot, then make sure you buy one with quality construction and materials.
How We Review The Electric Scooters
We compared over 100 different electric scooters from almost every electric scooter brand globally. From these 100 electric scooters, we shortlisted 10 which deemed to be worthy of a more in-depth review. From these 10 we took a deep dive and assessed in detail their pros, cons and costs. From these 10 we found 6 to be good enough to recommend to our readers. These 6 electric scooters represent the best of the best and there should be an electric scooter for every budget.
Best Electric Scooters FAQs
Last update on 2021-05-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API