In 2002 a long list of rules was introduced looking at the expanding IT sector, one was the Federal Information Security Management Act. It was constituted with a clear motive to create a clear security protocol that e-government agencies, offices and organizations working with the government bodies, can keep track of and maintain.
The law mandates private companies associated with the federal government, and the government agencies themselves to implement security measures. They must put forth protocols that provide complete protection to their networks, assets, and operation. In a nutshell, through the introduction of fisma compliance, the government tried to maximize cybersecurity and prevent any data leak from its system and its systems.
If your business complies with the fisma policies, here are some aspects your security system would require to cover.
- Conduct risk amassment: The act requires your business to have a regular risk assessment in cybersecurity. It also finds additional measures needed to be in place every time there is a possibility of a breach.
- Take necessary backups: An end-to-end inventory in place for all data. This goes for companies, federal agents, and any information that is shared between them.
- NIST Special Publication 800-53: This is a kind of security control required.
- Security Plan: As the business evolves, the security plans need upgrading. A frequent assessment provides critical information to the companies for altering the security plans for the current business and federal needs.
- Meeting stands and certification: The setup system should comply with the rules set by the FISMA act. Once evaluated, proper certification is provided by the appropriate agency.
- Monitoring: There is a necessity to conduct real-time monitoring to confirm a smooth flow and report leaks or alteration in the business’s security system.
- Categorization: To better assess the information and data that flows through the business, they should categorize according to their risk level. High-risk data should categorize higher than data with low-risk abilities.
These are a few of the many guidelines that a business associated with the federal agencies in the States follows. Following such an integrated process is not an easy task. Hence, specialized companies have to assist the businesses in forming and maintaining a sustainable security system that agrees with the FISMA law.
An integral part of FISMA requires a solid firewall configuration plan. Having a firewall protection plan is necessary for any business that works within a network. It doesn’t matter if the FISMA act is applicable for that business or not. A general act is implemented for any business that uses the cloud to store and conduct day-to-day business which involves policies to use firewall protection. It provides an added layer of security and makes sure that all your business data is safe.
If you are a business that works with the federal agency on a contractual basis, you need to integrate Fisma compliance in your firewall security regulation. The integration requires an expert agency that understands the act and can implement it into your firewall process.
However, the company should first conduct a security and firewall analysis to inspect for any leaks or breaches in the data. If you are unsure whether you need to comply with the fisma act, you can contact your firewall security auditor or provider and ask them. Regardless, a strong firewall assures both a safer flow of data internally and outside the company. There should be constant monitoring and restriction on the movement of traffic.
Further, to associate your firewall system with fisma, you will need to check for the following variables:
- A security analysis of the business security is highly important.
- Assessing the traffic sources and blocking any unwanted outbound and inbound traffic.
- Only traffic that is approved should be allowed to pass through the firewall system.
- An analysis of the applications used to determine their risk level should also be used. If there are applications that are at a high level of risk, they need to be reconsidered.
Once your firewall assesses and compliments these aspects only then should you go ahead and employ the fisma rules into your security regulations.
Using a company that can assist you with a proper setup of your firewall configuration and fisma is the way to go. Having a preset function that is easily implemented into your business and can be audited at any point in time is something an experienced company can provide. Also, constant monitoring and maintaining a secure cyber ecosystem is a tedious task made. For a business conducting this monitoring process manually can get hectic, and hence, the demand for a professional organization is always on the rise.
Provided it is time for your business to unfold but with an intent to better your security not only today but for the furniture as well. Adapt to fisma, employ firewall automation and watch your business scale.