The best smart locks offer better security and more convenience. Locks have now joined the ranks of other smart devices with the aim of creating more sophisticated and secure home security.
There are many advantages to having smart locks and this include not having to worry about ever losing your keys or having to hide spare keys on the porch. With a reliable smart lock, you can check on your house from time to time, create temporary passkeys for the plant or pet sitter, and even alert the police if there’s unusual activity in your house.
The best smart locks have been around for quite some time now but the latest batch of smart locks are integrated with Alexa, Siri, and Google Assistant, providing much more advanced systems and commands.
If you don’t have the time to read the full review, you can just click on the links below to skip to that smart lock product:
Overall Best Smart Lock
- A key that works everywhere. Lock the front door. And unlock it. From anywhere.
- Connected right out of the box. August Wi-Fi Smart Lock requires no additional bridge to connect to Wi-Fi, so you get full voice and remote access functionality without the fuss. Requires 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network.
- Upgrade your existing lock. Easily attaches to your existing deadbolt on the inside of your door - so you can continue to use your existing keys.
- Never fumble for your keys again. Auto-unlock detects when you arrive and unlocks the door. Enable auto-lock to lock when the door closes.
Lock Type: Deadbolt | Smart Home Compatibility: Google Home, Alexa, Apple HomeKit | Alarm: None | Keypad: Optional | Batteries: 2 CR123A batteries
Many tech reviewers have attested to the August Wi-Fi, (4th Generation) Smart Lock as one of the best smart locks offered on the market. Everything that you’ve grown to love with the original August Smart Lock is still available but with improvements. One of which is its direct connectivity to your home wi-fi instead of installing through the August Connect Bridge.
The installation of the smart lock itself is just a breeze. This technology will upgrades your existing deadbolt lock. In fact, most of the Kwikset single cylinder deadbolts will work with the August Wi-Fi Smart Lock. Just to be sure, you can always check out the list of compatible deadbolt locks on the brand’s official website.
It has the DoorSense technology which can detect the current status of the door—whether or not the doors are left ajar if it’s closed, open, locked, or unlocked.
Another great thing about this is that you don’t have to necessarily throw away the original key. You can keep it and use it in instances where you don’t have access to your smartphone or smartwatch. In addition, you can install a keypad for keyless access without the use of a gadget.
You can even produce guest keys for family, friends, and trusted people so that you won’t have to hide spare keys somewhere on your porch. You’ll have full control and you can connect digital assistants, like Siri, Alexa, and Google to help open, lock, and keep tabs on your door’s activity feed.
Still one of the best
- Works with Alexa for voice control. Wireless requirements - 2.4GHertz Wi-Fi network. Connect Wi-Fi Bridge included.
- Control and monitor your door from anywhere. Lock and unlock your door, control, keyless access and keep track of who comes and goes, all from your phone. Alexa can also provide notifications when your battery is running low so you can proactively replace them. Set up smart reorders through dash replenishment to make sure you always have replacement batteries when you need them.
- Be sure you’re secure with DoorSense. Only August has DoorSense to tell you if your door is securely closed and locked. Holding force: 600 pounds.
- Always know who is coming and going. Track activity at your doorstep with a 24/7 activity feed.
Lock Type: Deadbolt | Smart Home Compatibility: Google Home, Alexa | Alarm: None | Keypad: Optional | Batteries: 4 AA batteries
The August Smart Lock 3rd gen was considered as one of the best smart locks in 2019. It was just dethroned when its successor was released which is understandably logical. But just like Hollywood, you’ll never forget the original.
The August Smart Lock Pro is not limited to Wi-Fi connectivity. With the August Connect Bridge, you are able to connect to the locking device via BlueTooth and Z-Wave Plus. Unfortunately, this model doesn’t have the Apple HomeKit nor the Amazon Key support because it’s a 2017 model.
What made this a hit a few years back because it introduced a concept appealing to those who rent their homes. You only had to install the device on the existing deadbolt without having to scoop out the whole cylinder. When you move out, you can just simply remove the device without ruining the lock—keeping your landlord happy and your deposit safe.
With the Best Auto-Lock Feature
- Lose your keys, for good: Unlock your door using your entry code on the keypad, and leave the bulky keychain behind. For use with your smartphone or smart home system, Yale Access Upgrade Kit is required (sold separately).
- Auto-Lock for peace of mind: You didn’t forget to lock the door, your lock did it for you. Rest easy knowing that your door is locked every time you leave the house and when you go to bed at night.
- Easy to install on any door: Not so handy? Not a problem. Yale Assure locks are super easy to install and are guaranteed to fit standard doors (doors 1-¾” to 2-¼” thick. Doors under 1-⅜” require thin door kit).
- Stop hiding keys: Sharing codes is the new hide-a-key. Give unique codes to friends, family, and other people you trust, and never put a key under the doormat again.
Lock Type: Deadbolt | Smart Home Compatibility: Alexa, Google Home, Homekit, SmartThings| Alarm: None | Keypad: Yes | Battery: 4 AA batteries
Unlike the Amazon.com.au : Yale Assure Lock SL - Key Free Smart Lock with Touchscreen Keypad will replace your regular deadbolt. Nevertheless, it’ll be very easy to install with just the use of an ordinary screwdriver, and the brand guarantees that this best smart lock will fit standard entry doors.
It has a pretty direct usage and you don’t have to be tech-savvy to learn the ropes of your new smart lock device. One of its key features is its auto-lock feature. You won’t have to worry nor wonder if you locked the door behind upon going out, because it’ll automatically unlock the door for you. It has the DoorSense technology as well that uses a small magnet to detect if the bolt has slid into place for the Assure to lock the door.
Instead of a rubber pad, it makes use of a touchscreen that dims away after it locks because it’ll enter into Standby mode to conserve battery. When wanting to enter back into the house, you will just have to double-tap the screen to enable the digital number pad.
To enable smart home features, you will have to buy the Yale Access Upgrade kit.
Amazon’s choice for Smart Locks
- Smart Lock with Built-in Wi-Fi allows you to lock/unlock from anywhere - no additional accessories required. Pair with the Schlage home app or Key by Amazon app to create and manage up to 100 access codes for trusted friends and family for recurring, temporary or permanent access
- Works with Alexa: Check the status of your lock and lock / unlock your door. In addition, Alexa will let you know when your battery is running low or set-up smart reorders through Amazon Dash Replenishment so you always have replacement batteries when needed.
- Fingerprint-resistant, capacitive touchscreen with easy one-touch locking. Optional voice control offers hands-free convenience when using voice-enabled products
- Built-in alarm technology senses potential security breaches at the lock, while the low battery indicator offers advanced warning for battery replacement
Lock Type: Deadbolt | Smart Home Compatibility: Alexa, Google Assistant | Alarm: Yes | Keypad: Yes | Battery: 4 AA batteries
The Schlage Encode Deadbolt Smart Lock makes it our list of best smart locks because, for one, it has a built-in alarm technology that senses potential door attacks. The first three on this list didn’t have an alarm feature. When it detects an intruder or someone who is trying to force their way through the lock, it’ll alert you with its siren-like alarm.
It has a built-in Wi-Fi feature as well which enables you to lock and unlock from anywhere with your smartphone and Schlage home app or Key by Amazon app without any additional accessories needed. It can create and manage up to 100 access codes for your family, friends, and for trusted service workers. These codes can either be recurring, temporary (one-time access), or permanent access that you can assign for each family member that lives inside your humble abode.
This innovative security device can be paired with any Alexa-enabled device or Google Home, and you can take advantage of its voice control features. Also, when connected, Alexa will tell you when your battery is running low. When not connected, the device itself has a battery indicator to give you an advanced warning that your battery needs replacement.
Best Smart Lock for Airbnb
- 【Smart Lock & Smarter Life】Your smart phone is now a smart key to lock/unlock your deadbolt, and a perfect solution for rental hosts to create virtual keys to visitors.
- 【Safety & Convenient】This door lock is BHMA authenticated, and it will automatically lock after 5-120 seconds preset period, free your hands and say goodbye to forgetting to close your door.
- 【Faithful Guardian】When someone attempts to crack your code, this door lock will beep alarm and it will also alert you in low batteries, making sure your family safe and sound.
- 【5-in-1 Keyless Entry Smart Lock】You have multiple ways to unlock your door: smart phone, keypad, fingerprint, IC cards and mechanical keys.
Lock Type: Deadbolt | Smart Home Compatibility: Alexa, Google Assitant| Alarm: Yes | Keypad: Yes | Battery: 4 AA Batteries
The Narpult Smart Door Lock is said to be one of the best smart locks for Airbnb houses. So if you’re planning to list your rest houses or condo units, you may want to consider this smart lock. This is because it comes with a timed-code feature. This means that you can create a code from the app that’ll only be active starting from the time and date it was created until the date set by the owner. If the code is not used within 24 hours after it was generated, it’ll be deleted from the system.
The lock can also be accessed through IC cards which you can give to your Airbnb renters instead of actual keys. Aside from IC cards, the door can be unlocked via fingerprint, mechanical keys, smartphone, and of course, a digital keypad.
The Narpult Smart Lock will also replace your regular deadbolt lock. And to connect this device to the Wi-Fi you’ll need a separate device called the Wi-Fi gateway. It is sold separately, so if you don’t have the budget yet or you don’t plan on connecting it to your smart home system you can still control your lock via Bluetooth.
The smart lock also comes with a beeping alarm if it senses a potential door attack. It’ll also beep to warn you that the batteries are running low.
Best Smart Locks for Door Levers
- 【Remote Control】Control entry access to your Smart Lock from anywhere, for anyone with the Ultraloq Wifi Bridge. Voice control with Alexa, Google Assistant. Works with IFTTT.
- 【Multiple Ways to Unlock】4-in-1 Keyless Entry Smart Lock: Smartphone App + Fingerprint + Code + Mechanical Key. Apple Watch to open without carrying your iPhone. Never get locked out again!
- 【Smartphone APP】The U-tec App enables you to unlock your Smart lock with your smartphone, Grants access to your family, guests or service people via a code or an eKey for speciﬁc dates or times. Knows who has the access to your lock and how, and add or delete users any time you want. You can also see a Log of who’s entered and exactly when they did from your smartphone.
- 【DIY Installation and Security】Ultraloq Smart Lever Lock is designed to ﬁt any US standard interior and exterior door with a single hole prep. No wiring and no drilling. Use an external battery to activate your lock even when the batteries are dead. Set a time for the Lever to automatically lock after the door is closed.
Lock Type: Door lever | Smart Home Compatibility: Alexa, Google Assistant, IFTTT| Alarm: None | Keypad: Yes | Battery: 3 AA batteries
While all the other smart locks on this list focus on enhancing your deadbolt lock system, the ULTRALOQ Lever The Most Advanced Smart Lock aims to cater to the door lever. The device can also be connected to Smart Home assistants such as Alexa, Google Assistant, and IFTTT. Although, you will need its Wi-Fi bridge to be able to connect to your Wi-Fi before you can connect it to your smart home system. When ordering, make sure you include the Wi-Fi bridge.
It has four ways to unlock: via fingerprint identification, anti-peep keypad, via the apple watch, and for emergency uses, via a mechanical key that can be inserted underneath the mechanism.
Among all four, the anti-peep keypad might just be one of the key features that made this product one of the best smart locks in the market by far. You can add random digits in the first half and in the second half of the code you enter, and type in the correct digits in the middle. This is to protect your code from prying eyes. This immensely resolves the common problems faced by those who use keypad smart lock codes. It’s like having to cover your pin when withdrawing at an ATM.
Another key feature is the Passenger mode where you can set the smart lock to keep the door unlocked for a certain period of time because it has an auto-lock feature that’ll close the door after a min. Of 3 seconds to 5 mins.
Lastly, located beside the mechanical keyhole is a micro-USB where you can connect an external battery, perhaps a power bank, to activate the lock when the batteries die.
Best Smart Padlock
Lock Type: Padlock | Smart Home Compatibility: None | Alarm: None | Keypad: None | Battery: Built-in lithium
The UPEOR Waterproof Fingerprint Padlock Smart Lock takes padlock innovation to the next level. It is definitely the next padlock you’ll be bringing to the gym lockers or at school. It is quite a durable mechanism. The lock is made with steel, while the body is made with Zinc Alloy. It can’t be connected online or through an as one of its aims is to avoid hacking
Take note that there is no spare mechanical key as it would lose the sole purpose of its innovation. It’ll only accept the fingerprint you registered and it can read your biometrics as fast as 0.5 seconds. Don’t worry about this best smart lock padlock dying on you, as it comes with a built-in lithium battery that can be used for 12 months or for about 9,000 times in a single charge.
Best Hidden Smart Lock
- Make Your Lock Smart: Designed to replace your current deadbolt, Level Bolt is the only way to invisibly transform your lock. Add smart conveniences to your home without the big, unsightly bulk of other smart locks.
- Designed for Everyone: Give friends and family the convenience of using their phone, voice, or a key to enter your home. Works with iOS and Android.
- Powerful & Secure: Featuring a 6-gauge stainless steel gearbox, Level Bolt smart lock meets the highest level of industry standards.
- Stay Connected: Works with Ring and HomeKit.
Lock Type: Deadbolt | Smart Home Compatibility: HomeKit| Alarm: None | Keypad: None | Battery: 1 CR2 battery
The Level Bolt, The Invisible Smart Lock bags a spot in our best smart locks list because of how discrete it is. Intruders and burglars will definitely be caught off guard. This is one way of adding security to your security system, not letting people know that you have a smart security system in place.
The Level Bolt features a 6-gauge stainless steel gearbox and it doesn’t necessarily replace your deadbolt lock, just the mechanism inside. To activate the smart system, you need to place the battery inside the cylinder. What makes this a genius contraption is you can still make use of the same regular keys that you use for your old deadbolt lock.
Unfortunately, this “invisible” smart lock is can only be connected to Apple’s HomeKit. Although, you can connect to it via Bluetooth. You can control the lock via an app.
Smart Locks: Buyer’s Guide
The best smart locks should offer you great versatility in terms of functions and security. But up to what degree? With all these great innovations, you might be feeling lost and confused as to what product will work great for you. To help you make the smart decision here is a comprehensive buyer’s guide explaining the factors that you should consider:
Generally, there are two types of smart locks for the door: the deadbolt type and the door lever. As observed in this article, the deadbolt type is more common than the other one. Nonetheless, the lever-type smart lock is becoming more and more apparent in the market.
Choosing either one is more of a personal preference and what you can work with as easily as you can without having to bear new holes on your door.
Smart home and Wi-Fi connectivity
Not all smart locks have smart home and Wi-Fi connectivity. Others even just have a Bluetooth connection for you to be able to connect to your lock through the app. The best smart locks will offer wide-range connectivity to either of the Smart Home assistants, Alexa, Siri, or Google Assistant. And to be able to do so, it should be connected to Wi-Fi.
If your goal is to connect your whole house to centralized smart home connectivity, then you may want to look into the products that are compatible with your already existing smart home ecosystem. Most use Amazon’s Alexa while others opt for Google. Apple’s HomeKit, on the other hand, is becoming more and more visible in people’s houses.
So, what do you have at home? Then, pick out a product that has the same smart home compatibility.
The second point that’s worth emphasizing in this section is the availability of Wi-Fi connectivity in smart locks. New innovations have integrated a built-in Wi-Fi system into the products. However, it’s still a developing norm that only the best of the best smart locks will have like the August Smart Lock. Most of the products still need a Wi-Fi Connect Bridge to enable said connectivity. Some will include that added device in the package, while others will make you buy it separately. This is why you need to be very careful when ordering. You have to double-check if the bridge is included or not.
Smart lock interaction
Some products will have multiple ways to unlock the device. The most common is via an app and by typing a code on the lock’s keypad. Many have already integrated fingerprint readers, which is very high-tech.
The new set of smart locks with keypads offer great options such as generating temporary passcodes for your visiting friends, family members, and of course, for the service people you hired to do some work inside the house while you are away. They usually get timed codes that’ll expire after the date and time you set. This is to make sure they won’t have access to your door after they’ve served their purpose.
If this is something that’ll make you even more secure, then you might consider looking into the products that’ll offer this kind of feature. Meanwhile, there are products that’ll offer a mechanical key, which is great backup access, just in case you encounter machine failure with your smart device. This is very useful, especially when your device runs out of batteries.
Smart locks usually carry a sleek design, style, and finish. What you will do for then is what will complement your home decor the best. Most will come in some sort of metal material, either brass, silver, and bronze. Others will throw in simple design variations to make the smart lock more appealing than the others and for it to stand out from the rest.
High-tech security can be a bit costly. But the perks that it can give you are priceless. Spending a few dollars could mean saving hundreds and thousands of dollars worth of furniture, appliances, and not to mention, jewelry. Also, our loved ones’ lives are obviously priceless, and ensuring their safety is one of our utmost priorities.
The best smart locks shouldn’t cost you a great deal. What you want to consider is if you’ll be able to save when opting for a product with a built-in Wi-Fi or will it be more expensive than buying one with a separate connect bridge device. There are also hidden gems that are offered at an affordable price but sports premium-like features. So be on the lookout for that.
Overall, installing the best smart locks in the market is a very wise decision. In the long run, most, if not all, houses will have smart locks. With how the tech trend is going, it wouldn’t take long for it to be a normal device you’ll see in houses.
There are a lot of products made available in the market right now. But all you need to focus on is what will benefit you and your house the most. If you have the need to check the locks from time to time while you’re at work, especially when you’re a parent, then get one that comes with an app, a smart home, and Wi-Fi connectivity.
Don’t be afraid to heighten the security in your house as what it saves is way more valuable than what the smart lock cost.